Friday, October 30, 2009

Ky And Mel Earn Another Noosa Title

Olympic 10K marathon swimmer Ky Hurst came up big-time - in the sand, in the water and in the surf - for the seventh time in his career by winning the 2009 Eyeline 1000 Ocean Swim.

Trent Grimsey, fresh off his 10K victory in the FINA World Cup race in Sharjah (United Arab Emirates) this month, took second with Trent's younger brother Codie in third, Dean Mercer in fourth and Nick D'arcy in fifth.

"Near the end I had nothing left, so I just tried to hold on," said Ky of his 11 minute 4 second victory. "I turned at the last can and still had a bit of a lead. I just wanted to finish it off properly and was praying that I got a wave." Ky ended getting two waves to assure him victory. He first caught a small wave to gain an initial advantage over Trent - which Trent then closed - before Ky caught his second small wave.

World 5K champion and 2009 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year nominee Melissa Gorman won her sixth victory (and fifth in a row) in 12:07, "This is great training for the open-water stuff. I don't get much time in the surf except for this sort of race. I'm really in hard training at the moment, so to get a good hitout is always good. I was thinking that I haven't lost it for the past five years and there is more and more pressure every time I come here," she said." Former world 5K and 10K bronze medalist Kate Brooks-Peterson and Danielle DeFrancesco were second and third.

Both Ky and Melissa represent the Kurrawa Surf Lifesaving Club.

Information from AAP.

Copyright © 2009 by World Open Water Swimming Association

No comments: