In July 2008, we listed 20 Very Cool Websites (see below), but the number of websites providing valuable information in a visual dynamic manner continues to increase.
A second list of 25 unique, educational and informative websites is below for your viewing pleasure (listed in no particular order).
If your favorite open water swimming website is not shown, please share the link with our community.
1. Midmar Mile: a comprehensive portal to the world’s largest open water swimming event.
2. New Zealand Ocean Swim Series: a comprehensive portal created by Scott Rice, one of the World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year nominees
3. Kristel Köbrich: a Spanish-language website of a top pro swimmer from Chile
4. Damian Blaum: a Spanish-language website of a top pro swimmer from Argentina.
5. Manhattan Island Foundation: comprehensive portal to open water swimming in and around New York City.
6. European Open Water Swimming Championships: a website covering the European Open Water Swimming Championships by the accomplished group at Deep Blue Media
7. Lewis Gordon Pugh: multi-lingual website of an incredible open water swimming adventurer and environmentalist.
8. Lac St-Jean: a bilingual French-English website of the famous Lac St-Jean pro swim.
9. Santa Fe-Coronda: Spanish-language website of the pro Sante Fe-to-Coronda race in Argentina.
10. Aqualoja: a bilingual Portuguese-English website that combines event coverage with an online swim shop.
11. Finnish Winter Swimming Championships: a bilingual Finnish-English website of cold water swimming in Finland21.
12. Edith van Dijk: a Dutch-language website of a remarkable pro swimmer who is a nominee for the 2008 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year:
13. Global Open Water Swimming: the world’s most comprehensive open water swimming news portal with excellent coverage of European open water swimming events.
14. Hoffy Swims: personal open water swimming blog of Paul Hopfensperger.
15. Cape Swim: an open water swimming site for Cape Town, South Africa.
16. Ana Marcela Cunha: a Portuguese-language website of a top pro swimmer from Brazil.
17. Cook Strait: facts and figures on the Cook Strait in New Zealand.
18. Channel Swimmers: for those who want to swim, or have swum, the English Channel.
19. FINA: FINA information on open water swimming.
20. Bulgarian Open Water: information on Bulgarian open water swimming
21. Outdoor Swimming Society: outdoor swimming in the U.K.
22. Beaufort Wind Scale: from the US National Weather Service.
23. Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association: a description of events in the Santa Barbara Channel by Emilio Casanueva, a nominee for the 2008 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year
24. Great North Swim: website of the Great North Swim series in the U.K.
25. Pacific Swims: website of open water swimming events in the South Pacific.
From the July 2008 list of unusual, beautiful or informative websites:
1. Open Water Photography: great open water swimming photos.
2. Natalie du Toit: incredible South African Olympian
3. Maarten van der Weijden: inspirational leukemia survivor.
4. Water World Swim: San Francisco Bay swims.
5. Fiji Swims: open water swims in Fiji.
6. St. Croix Coral Reef Swim: open water race in beautiful St. Croix.
7. Irish Channel: Irish Channel swims.
8. Swim Across America: charity open water swims.
9. Tiburon Mile: world’s most competitive pro race.
10. Swim Trek: open water swimming holiday adventures.
11. La Jolla Cove Swim Club: California open water swimming club.
12. Britta Kamrau: top pro swimmer Britta Kamrau of Germany.
13. Marcos Diaz: top Dominican Republican swimmer.
14. Carina Bruwer: top South African marathon swimmer.
15. Lynne Cox: renowned Lynne Cox.
16. Angela Maurer: top German Olympic swimmer, Angela Maurer.
17. Swim Vacation: British Virgin Islands open water swimming vacations.
18. Rottnest Channel Swim: world's largest channel race.
19. Ocean Swims: worldwide resource on open water events.
20. All about Open Water: educational open water swimming site.
Photo of Joe Orman in San Francisco Bay during New Year's Day Alcatraz Swim. Photo by Colin A Gift.