The FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup pro circuit announced its overall winners for its 2008 season.
The "Dara Torres" of the open water world, Angela Maurer won the circuit having participated and medaled in almost every World Cup race this season. Larisa Ilchenko was second after a shortened season where she focused on the Beijing Olympic 10K. Third was young Ana Marcela Cunha of Brazil.
Valerio Cleri was dominant among the men followed by long-time pro Yuri Kudinov of Russia and up-and-coming Mazen Aziz of Egypt. The final standings and allocated prize money are as follows:
1. Valerio Cleri (ITA) – US$15,000
2. Yuri Kudinov (RUS) – US$10,000
3. Mazen Aziz (EGY) – US$5,000
1. Angela Maurer (GER) – US$15,000
2. Larisa Ilchenko (RUS) – US$10,000
3. Ana Marcela Cunha (BRA) – US$5,000