Monday, September 29, 2008

Open Water Swimming from the Sea and Sky

Some beautiful and illustrative open water photographs were taken by Giorgio Scala of Deepbluemedia at the European Open Water Championships in Croatia this month.

The photo to the left shows the men going around a turn buoy in the 10K race eventually won by Thomas Lurz of Germany.





Using a helicopter over the venue, a skiff at sea level and scuba gear for underwater shots, Scala did a masterful wonderful job documenting the swimmers from all angles before, during and after the 5K solo trial races, the 5K team trial race, 10K races and the 25K races.

In the photos, especially the underwater shots, one can see the importance of drafting and positioning throughout the swim. As Olympic gold medalist Larisa Ilchenko said after her 10K victory, "...I was hit from right and left. I rarely took as many hits to my body as today. At the end I possibly benefitted from my experience."

17-year-old Alice Franco of Italy who won bronze medals in the 5K and 10K races said, "Of course it is better to follow other swimmers, but today I desperately wanted a second medal and that’s why I led the field for most of the time. Two medals in two races - that’s simply fantastic."

All photos by Giorgio Scala of Deepbluemedia.

No comments: