Friday, July 4, 2008

Lasting Images of China - Part 21


Courtesy of Steven Munatones, Beijing, China.

Swimming World Magazine reported on June 2nd that Olympic 10K Marathon Swim hopeful Karley Stutzel of Canada had collasped at the end of the 10K qualification swim at the Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park.

"I don't even remember the last loop at all," said Stutzel who had been a stalwart on the FINA World Cup and Grand Prix circuits for years. "My coach said I just stumbled and collapsed when I got out of the water and struggled up on the dock. I have swum in much colder waters for longer. I don't know what happened."

Fortunately, Stutzel quickly recovered and, although very disappointed, is now busy on her post-swimming career in Canada. While she was never able to realize her Olympic dreams, it was clear to all in Beijing that she gave it her all in her last race.

Photo taken immediately after Beijing race by Pei Qingsheng.

Copyright © 2008 by World Open Water Swimming Association

No comments: