Saturday, November 15, 2008

Heroic Channel Effort

Courtesy of WOWSA, Huntington Beach, California.

Rosalinda Hardiman is paralyzed from the waist down due to polio in her childhood. Despite needing a wheelchair, Rosalinda took up the daunting challenge of swimming across the 21-mile English Channel. However, 0.7 miles from the French shore, 56-year-old Rosalinda had to be pulled from the water last month after a undeniably heroic 25-hour battle in 15-18°C (59-64°F) waters.



Slipping in and out of consciousness, her crew wisely pulled her from the water, ending her dream of crossing the Channel...this year."I was so nearly there. I'm devastated that I didn't complete the swim, but I was in a bad way and the boat crew left me in the water until it was clear I was no longer making any headway against the current. They are concerned about the safety of the swimmers and have years of experience. I'm bitterly disappointed but I'm alive to swim another day," said Rosalinda.


Photos and information from The News.

Copyright © 2008 by World Open Water Swimming Association

No comments: