Saturday, August 9, 2008

International Hall of Fame Honors Shelley Taylor-Smith

Early this year, Australian Shelley Taylor-Smith was awarded the International Swimming Hall of Fame's prestigious 2008 Irving Davids / Captain Roger W. Wheeler Memorial Award for service and contribution to the sport of marathon swimming.

The award marks Taylor-Smith's second International Swimming Hall of Fame award in 2008 after she received notification last year of her induction into the 2008 Hall of Fame class.

Taylor-Smith was at the US Olympic Swim Trials for her Honoree induction for outstanding achievements internationally in marathon swimming - the highest recognition awarded in her stellar career as a competitor. She joined 45 other Australians in the Hall of Fame including Forbes Carslile, Dawn Fraser, Shane Gould and Kieren Perkins.

I owe a lot to a lot of people and these awards are not about me, they’re about the people around me that have helped me achieve what I’ve wanted,” Taylor-Smith said. “I wouldn’t have been able to do it without them and for me personally, getting this recognition is more about the sport and those people. It’s like anything in life - if you stick to it you can make it and achieve what you want. The Davids - Wheeler Award is for my contribution and service to the sport but I never think of giving back to my sport as being a service. I think it’s a natural thing we should do in the community or a particular area of life that we’re passionate about.”

Taylor-Smith will be on the water in the official’s boat during the women's and men's Olympic 10K Marathon Swims and is currently serving as the Secretary-General of FINA’s Technical Open Water Swimming Committeee.

For her activities outside of FINA and the open water swimming community, go to Champion Mindset, Australia’s leading lifestyle success coaching, self development and motivation company.

No comments: