Saturday, August 9, 2008

Chloe's Corner - in the Interview Room


Chloe Sutton of the Mission Viejo Nadadores was asked a series of questions prior to departing for Beijing for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim.

Here are her answers:



Q5. You seem to get so animated about open water swimming. Why?

A5. Open water swimming is easy to talk about because it is so exciting. I noticed at Olympic Trials when I was being interviewed for pool swimming, I had trouble finding descriptive words to explain my races. I would describe my races with quotes like, “I swam fast…I wanted to build my speed…I raced the finish…” But, for open water swimming interviews, it is totally different. I can describe my races much more easily. For example, “I was caught in the pack with elbows flying and people grabbing my cap and goggles…I knew I had to sacrifice a yellow card to climb over the pack and get into position….I maneuvered the turn just as I planned….. I felt the elbow that gave me that bruise….I don’t know exactly why I am bleeding!”

Photo of Chloe Sutton being interviewed at USA Swimming's Golden Goggle Awards in Beverly Hills.

No comments: