Friday, July 25, 2008

Classic FINA 10K Race Finish in Canada

Egypt's Mazen Aziz upset English Channel record holder Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria and Mission Viejo's Fran Crippen in the pro 10K race at the Traversee Internationale du lac St-Jean in Quebec, Canada. In a classic FINA 10KM Marathon Swimming World Cup finish, Aziz won in 2:04.15.84 over Stoychev's 2:04.16.30 and Crippen's 2:04.16.87.

Fourth went to David Browne of Australia in 2:04.18.02 and fifth sent to Brendan Capell in 2:04.20.3. Stoychev was the only male swimmer in Lac St Jean who will also be competing in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim.

Prior to the race, Stoychev said, "I have a son now and I have to provide for my family. This is my profession and I must travel the world to compete and win [prize money]."

Photo by Morty Berger of NYC Swim.

Copyright © 2008 by World Open Water Swimming Association

No comments: